Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Considering Chickens

Yes, you heard me. Chickens. I am seriously considering chickens. How cool would it be to send the kids out to gather eggs for breakfast? I gathered eggs when I was a kid and I thought it was fun. I spoke to my husband about it. He thinks it would be great, too. And, if he built a moveable coop, they would fertilize our back yard. (I learned that from reading Joel Salatin.)
Unfortunately, I'm not sure it would be wise economically unless we wanted to eat the chickens. But we also agree that we could not kill a chicken. So would it make sense to invest in a hen house and chickens and feed for them on an ongoing basis? Maybe we could sell chicks? Would that make it worthwhile? Or am I just crazy? Who knows more about this? Advise me please!
 

1 comment: