Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mama's Ready for More

Mama's Ready for More
I've been thinking for years about all of the things we could do and should do around our home to make our lives healthier, simpler, and greener. I've been thinking about big changes and little ones. I've implemented some of my ideas, but lately I've been thinking that I need to implement all of them, one by one. This blog will be my daily reminder, my accountability, and my story. 
I hope to lead the way for many moms who are tired of keeping up with the Jones' and are ready to make their own changes. I want more out of life...for myself and my family...than what I've been getting. I want more than going to work, schoolwork with the kids, laundry and dishes, and overspending on the "right" clothes. I want to teach my kids that health is a priority, both their own health and the health of the planet. I want to spend more time with them. I want to be a better example for them. I want so much more!
My first step? Recycling. Serious recycling. We started recycling all of our recyclable plastic about 2 years ago, but we stopped there. But in the past few weeks, we have started recycling paper products and aluminum also. My recycling takes up more room than my garbage now! The kids have to be reminded and I have pulled quite a few things out of the trash can. But we will do this! 
What have I discovered already? We have considerably reduced the amount of trash bags we use! I mean seriously reduced! In the past, we used up to 2 bags each day! After starting to recycle our plastic, we cut that in half. Now we are only using 2 or 3 bags per week! I am asking for paper bags at the grocery store because they stand up side by side neatly in the laundry room for all of our recyclables. They line up neatly in the backseat when it's time to go to the dump, too. Then after the bags are emptied into the correct bins at the garbage dump, we drop the bags into the cardboard/paper bin. It's quite efficient! I've also learned that we were trashing an amazing amount of paper and cardboard! Packaging makes up most of it. I find myself wondering if manufacturers couldn't avoid most of this packaging. I also find myself pondering how much less waste would end up in landfills if everyone recycled. Could recycling be made mandatory? What products use more responsible packaging? Interesting questions. Thoughts anyone?


1 comment: