Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mama Gets Cookin'

One thing I really need to work on is eating out less and eating at home more. Convenience is a difficult thing to give up! How can we get healthier, though, if we don't eat healthier? Sure, we can order salad in a restaurant, but then we can't control or even know where the food came from. Besides that, we need to learn to be better stewards of the money God has blessed us with. Restaurants simply cost so much more. 

This week I have cooked every night so far and tomorrow I want to try something new. I am thinking about making Chicken Curry, which I have never cooked and haven't eaten in about 15 years. I found the recipe below at this link, Easy Chicken Curry, and thought I'd share it with you. I will be ordering the ingredients I don't have using Click'nShop at Piggly Wiggly tonight so that I don't have to go in to pick them up in the morning.  If you haven't tried it, you should! The website is www.thepig.net and click the logo in the top right corner. Choose your store and start shopping. I love that many of the produce items at Piggly Wiggly are locally grown. It doesn't hurt that I work there and employees get a discount! 

Any recipes you want to share with me, feel free! Anytime! Especially if it will help use the veggies in my garden this year! By the way, anyone know where I can buy locally farmed chicken in or near Florence so I can stop buying it at the grocery store?


Easy Chicken Curry

Ingredients

 1 tsp salt
5-6 chicken breasts
5-6 medium sized potatoes
3-4 heaping tsp curry powder
1 large onion
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
Approx. 4 tablespoons oil
Serves approx. 6 people

Preparation

1). In a large saucepan,(I use a wok) fry the onion(diced), garlic(chopped fine), curry powder and oil for approximately 3-5 minutes. Make sure not to burn. Remove from pot.
2). Dice up chicken into cubes and fry in same pan until almost cooked.
3). Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
4). Add chicken, potatoes and onion curry mixture into saucepan. Fill with water until everything is just covered.
5). Simmer for about 45 minutes until the sauce starts to get a thick gravy like consistency.
6). Right before it is ready I will occasionally add some chopped yellow, orange, red or green peppers for a short time.




1 comment: