Recently I posted the ten worst and twenty best companies according to The Better World Shopping Guide. While I was very familiar with the reasons behind some of the companies listed, I was shocked to see Kraft on the the list of the ten worst companies and I wanted to know why. I did a little research and discovered some good information, along with some very useful websites to which I am sharing the links.
1. On the up side, Kraft received 100 out of 100 possible points form Human Rights Campaign for equality in the workplace. See more about the criteria at http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/2012-Corporate-Equality-Index-Criteria.
2. Kraft is not doing much to address climate change. Ceres is a company that advocates for sustainability in businesses and they gave Kraft a score of 11 out of 100 possible points on their climate change rating scale. See more about Ceres at http://www.ceres.org/.
3. The Center for Economic Priorities, or CEP, gave Kraft an "F" in social responsibility.
4. Green America gave Kraft its lowest rating in social responsibility. See more about Green America and its mission to create an "environmentally sustainable society" at http://www.greenamerica.org/.
5. Multinational Monitor has repeatedly listed Kraft as one of the ten worst companies for corporate crime.
6. The tobacco giant, Philip Morris, owns more than 80% of Kraft.
7. Kraft foods are in 99% of American households.
8. Kraft is the parent company for many other brands, including Knudsen, Jell-O, and Back to Nature. Others include: A.1. Steak Sauce, Breakstone's, Cadbury, Capri Sun, Dentyne, General Foods International, Gevalia, Green & Black's, Honeymaid, Kool-Aid, Nabisco, Oscar Meyer, Oreo, Philadelphia, Planters, Ritz, Stove Top, Tang, Tassimo, Toblerone, Triscuit, Trident, Velveeta, and Wheat Thins.
In the end, I had difficulty finding specific examples of what Kraft has or has not done to get these rankings. I love your comments! Do you have more information on why Kraft made the ten worst? Please share it! Where you surprised at any of these facts? Do you have Kraft foods in your home and did you know they were Kraft foods? I want to know what you think!