Monday, August 20, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge: Day 32

Going Green with the GrizlsI thought I would go back and revisit some of the posts I have missed during the Summer Blog Challenge. The first is from July 2, and the topic is to post a poem you have written or just one you love. 

I am a huge fan of Edmund Spenser's Fairy Queene and thought about sharing some of it with you, but it's an epic poem and I couldn't settle on a short verse to share. I flipped through some Milton and Donne and Shakespeare but still didn't settle on an excerpt. Then it occurred to me to share something fun, something that makes me smile. I hope it does the same for you, whether you have seen it before or not. I will share just the last verse of this poem by Andrew Marvell called To His Coy Mistress. FYI: He's trying to get a little make-out session (or more). Some things never change! Ha ha! And he is quite the smooth talker, too!

Now therefore, while the youthful hew
Sits on thy skin like morning dew,
And while thy willing soul transpires
At every pore with instant fires,
Now let us sport us while we may,
And now, like amorous birds of prey,
Rather at once our time devour
Than languish in his slow-chapt power.
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Thourough the iron gates of life.
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.


No comments:

Post a Comment