Monday, September 10, 2012

Mama Crazy

Do you ever feel like you must have lost your mind to have committed to all this? Like your many commitments are going to end up getting you commited?
photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

It's hard juggling the many aspects of being a mom sometimes. As a single mom, things get even wackier! Try working a full time job, parenting and home schooling an 8th grader, juggling a [minimal] social life, taking care of pets, housework, and a blog! Add to that attempting to make sure your child has social activities and stays stress-free (or relatively stress-free anyway). Its' all just nuts at times!

Example, tomorrow I decided to invite a few friends over. Then my parents called wanting to take us out to eat for my daughter's birthday on the same night.  Okay, as long as we eat before the homeschool meeting I have to attend tomorrow evening. Yes, the meeting should be over around 8 so my friends are expected at 8:30. That means I will need to have cleaning and baking done before we eat with my parents without neglecting school time with my daughter so that I can entertain as soon as I get home from my meeting. Whew!

Oh well, time to put on my big girl panties, lace up my bootstraps, smile a big smile, and deal with it! One thing at a time, it will all get done and it will all be worth it. I often have to write myself notes to remember everything, but I rarely miss an appointment or meeting or anything else that's scheduled. At the end of a super busy day, I usually feel very productive and proud of myself if I am able to handle it calmly and grab the bull by the horns, so to speak (versus running around like a bull is chasing me!).  And for those who know me, this is why everything has to be scheduled! I cannot make last minute plans! I've even scheduled a day of having nothing scheduled the day after my crazy day above! I know I'll need the break to maintain my sanity. 

What do you do when you're near crazy for having too much to do? Are you usually able to smile and get through it or do you panic and muddle through it? Does over-scheduling make you feel over-stressed or just productive? I love your comments so please share your thoughts with me :)

3 comments:

  1. Smart to schedule a nothing day after a busy day! I need to learn how to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a nothing day! I am so over scheduled like you mentioned that my do nothing days would still have things to do. Actually, today was a do nothing day and I am still behind, lol. My biggest problem is that I can't say NO. I need to learn to just tell teachers and parents that I can't this week, but hit me next week. Thank you for the post, it is a nice reminder to not let myself get so busy that I go a little crazy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have such busy schedules. I like to be spontaneous. But there are days that are filled of so many things to get done than I do go insane like when we have people over during the morning and then I have to clean the house for friends coming over for dinner...clean, make dinner, make sure the boys are not destroying the house...watching Whose Line Is it Anyway? or listening to music helps me keep sane while going crazy!

    ReplyDelete