I did manage to get New Year's dinner made, even if we did eat late! I made Hoppin' John with some field peas and snaps that were still in the freezer from last year's garden. My sister steamed greens with some fresh carrots that we got at one of the local organic farmer's markets. She added some sliced bell pepper that was leftover from a veggie plate at one of our Christmas get-togethers last week. The flavors worked together wonderfully and the carrots were so good that I can hardly wait to get back to the market to get more on Thursday!
Amid all of the hustle and bustle, I have finally put my New Year resolutions in writing, too. Here they are:
- I want to make more products for our household instead of buying them. I have a collection of recipes for toothpaste, body butter, bath soap, laundry detergent, and more. This year I resolve to use the recipes!
- I also resolve to write more frequently on Mama Making Changes. While wordless posts and giveaways are also fun, I want to have more articles, learn about and share information.
- I resolve to buy less from grocers and more from local organic markets. Along with this I resolve to eat more whole foods and less processed foods, and make from scratch whatever I can. My family will be healthier for it and the local economy needs the support.
- I resolve to buy products that are made or produced locally whenever possible, and made in the USA when not available locally. I want to be a part of ensuring that fewer Americans lose their jobs due to the economy, as is happening to me.
- A negative attitude only makes things worse. Therefore, I also resolve to look at the glass as half full when times get tough this year.
- Finally, I resolve to strengthen my relationship with God through becoming more active in my church and studying my Bible more often. My Bible is moving to my bedside table where I can read it at night instead of scrolling through Facebook status updates.
What resolutions have you made for 2013? What expectations do you have for this year?
If you haven't already, take a moment to fill out the survey in the right sidebar. It's only 4 questions and will help me to make Mama Making Changes better for you in 2013!