Monday, January 7, 2013

Veggie Chili

This chili is amazing! The kids normally will not eat chili in my house, but tonight they finished before the adults! I got a recipe from HolisticMama's 7 Day Real Food Challenge guide and tweeked it to suit our family. Here's how!

In a large pot: Sautee on med-low a large onion in a bit of olive oil till clear. Add 4 cloves crushed garlic, 2 carrots cut lengthwise then sliced and sautee about 5 more minutes. Add 6 cups cooked black beans and 1 large can and 1 small can organic tomatoes (or about 1quart frozen tomatoes). Stir in 1 tbsp. ground red pepper and 1/2 tsp. ground cayenne (more if you want it spicy, but this amount was mild enough for the kids) and sea salt to taste. Add 2 cups water and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring often.

That's it! We soaked and cooked the black beans ahead of time and used some frozen tomatoes from the summer garden, so this didn't take much effort and it was so wonderful! Inexpensive to make, too!

Are you taking this challenge? What's your favorite "real food" recipe?

10 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! We love chili here - and since we're vegetarians, this is perfect! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had veggie chili tonight. I was low on the usual veggies I include but had a lot of carrots. I considered adding carrots, then thought it might be too weird. So- it's nice to hear you add them to yours and it still tastes good! :) I'll be more daring next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'm going to have to try this for sure. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I made veggie chili last night and I add in zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious - we need to make some chili soon. I'd add frozen organic corn kernels for an extra splash of color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good. My son is a huge fan of chili so I'm interested to see how he likes this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite vegetarian chili recipe calls for about five pounds of mushrooms. This looks a lot ch- more economical! :D

    ReplyDelete