Monday, April 22, 2013

Easy Frittata Recipe

For the second evening of the 7 Day Real Food Challenge, my sister and I got into the kitchen together and we were having so much fun that we cooked way more than just dinner! 

Since I got home first, I washed the free range chicken that I got from a local farm and started chopping vegetables. When she got here, she seasoned and dressed the chicken while I worked on the sides. We had some broccoli and some tomatoes and okra in the freezer still from last summer, so we had those with quinoa. The roasted chicken came out beautifully and it was so tasty!  All of it was tasty!  

While I was chopping the onions, garlic, and celery for the chicken, I chopped some extra onions and garlic for a frittata. After skipping breakfast yesterday and eating only fruit today, I am ready for a hot breakfast tomorrow. I am not, however, a morning person. Making breakfast ahead of time is the best way to ensure we get breakfast! I baked the frittata in the oven with the chicken and now we can just reheat by the slice in the morning (we all four leave at different times). I proudly posted a photo of the finished product on Facebook and got several requests for the recipe, so here it is. This recipe is not an exact science and we make it differently each time depending on what we have in the kitchen, but this is what I made tonight:


  • Chop two small onions very thin, including the green tops. 
  • If using fresh garlic, slice the green tops of the garlic also. Seperate the cloves from a small bulb of garlic and set aside. 
  • Heat about 2 tbsp salted butter in a skillet and add the onions and the garlic greens. Using a garlic press, add several cloves of garlic quickly (I used four). 
  • As soon as the onions are done and the greens are wilted, add about 10 oz of fresh spinach and cover, turning heat to the lowest possible setting. Uncover occassionally to toss. Cook just until spinach wilts. 
  • While spinach cooks, beat a dozen eggs and season with sea salt and black pepper.
  • Rub butter onto a 13x9 pan and spread spinach mixture across the bottom of the pan.
  • Pour eggs over the top and bake in a 350 degree oven, approximately 30 minutes. 
Possibilities for this recipe are endless! Use whatever veggies you have and adjust the amount of veggies and eggs according to how many people are eating. This doesn't have to be a certain thickness, either. If you make less, it will not be very deep in the pan so you will not cook as long. 

If you make this recipe slightly smaller, with 6 or 8 eggs, you can  cook the veggies till tender in a cast iron skillet, pour the eggs in, and put the skillet straight into the oven! Less mess! 

Things I have put into a frittata: 
  • sweet potatoes
  • broccoli
  • zucchini
  • tomatoes
  • bacon
  • sausage
  • kale
  • collards
  • chives
  • bell pepper
You see?!

Let me just add...we didn't stop after making dinner and breakfast...

We made a pan of these amazing flax and nut bars topped with dark chocolate! These should take care of our sweet tooth for a few days and they will be a filling, healthy snack!

Clean up time included the kids. We had some chicken left over and my daughter picked all of it from the bones. We'll make something with it tomorrow night. Maybe the Easy Chicken Curry in the challenge guide? The chicken carcass and the veggies we used to season it are in the crock pot overnight to make chicken stock for another day. 

Have you joined the 7 Day Real Food Challenge? What real foods did you prepare today?



1 comment:

  1. That looks so good! I have yet to make a proper frittata. That one i tried didn't turn out at all lol. I will try this out :

    ReplyDelete