Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Easy Summer Recipe

The fresh seasonal veggies are starting to change now that summer is coming to a close and fall is just around the corner. In my CSA bag this week, I had some butternut squash. I love butternut squash soup, although I've never cooked it myself. In fact, I had never cooked this vegetable in any way, shape, or form. I was completely perplexed and let it sit on my counter top for days. 

In a conversation with a co-worker today, I mentioned my squash troubles. She shared a super easy way to cook this veggie and it worked beautifully, as you can see! 

Slice the squash lengthwise into two halves. Use a spoon to scrape the seeds out, just like you would treat a cantaloupe. Place the two halves face down in a baking pan, a generous slice of unsalted butter underneath the fleshy part of each. Bake on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes before turning and baking an additional 20 minutes or until very soft. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and brown sugar. 

You could scoop these out to serve, but I thought the presentation whole was wonderful! It was very easy to eat with only a fork and tasted a little like baked sweet potatoes. I think these would also be delicious without the cinnamon sugar, which made it taste more like desert than a side dish.

Now I just need to know how to cook this acorn squash! Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. SO simple! I haven't attempted to use butternut squash! I will have to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your site is very useful.

    Many thanks for sharing!

    My site: rattan furniture

    ReplyDelete