Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday A La Mode: August 12, 2013

Count on Monday A La Mode for the latest news, products, websites, and other updates that green moms will want to see! 

This week's Monday A La Mode is shorter than usual. I'm a real life mama and I'm currently moving my family from the city to just outside a very small and friendly town. I hope to have Monday A La Mode back in full swing next week so stay tuned. 

In the meantime, here's what I did find for you:

Support this bill...

You are probably aware that bees are dwindling and that without bees humans will not be able to sustain life as we know it on this planet. Bees pollinate plants, which provide food and oxygen for us. It's simple really - we can't live without them. Unfortunately, chemical farming is taking a huge toll on our flying friends. Click here to show your support of a bill to ban pesticides that kill bees.

Coffee Without Electricity...

My Coffee Press
Energy conservation is a biggie when it comes to being green. With global warming becoming a frightening trend, we must all do our part. Instead of plugging up the automatic coffee maker, try a chemex or coffee press. Both are excellent for camping, too! 

I love my press and I do believe the coffee tastes better than any other method I've tried. I add course ground coffee and boiling water, put on the lid, and four or five minutes later press the plunger all the way down. That's it! And, of course, I also recommend organic and/or fair trade if they are available to you. Click here for a list of reputable coffee companies from Fair Trade USA (list is at bottom right of page).

My mother-in-law prefers a chemex, which is another great way to make coffee without electricity. View the video below to see how it works. Have you ever used either of these methods? Do you have a preference if you've tried both?



If you'd like to view other Monday A La Mode posts, click here to see a full list, sorted by date. Just click on the date you'd like to view!

Thanks for visiting MMC and have a great Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Coffee presses are awesome! My grandfather had one and he swore that it always made the best-tasting coffee. Cool video - thanks for sharing!

    Jenn, http://www.injennsbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed the bill to protect the bees last week. People don't realize just how important bees are for our food/agriculture system. Thanks for sharing the petition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I had no idea that something like this existed! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Signed the bill. Very interesting facts. I knew bees were important, just not how much. I just bought a coffee press, haven't tried it yet, but I am told the coffee is amazing if you use one

    ReplyDelete