Back before I even watched Food Inc., I had heard a lot of talk about a book called The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. This book traces three meals backward from the table to their source. And I hear that after reading it, you will never look at the food on your plate in the same way again! Sounds interesting, right? The book also comes in a simpler, easier to read version for young people.
Well, I added it to do my list of things I'd like to do soon and moved on. I kept hearing about, thinking about it, seeing it on my list, and I even downloaded it on my Nook, but I never actually read it. Well, I can hear my own mama in the back of my mind..."Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today." And she would be so right, because my "to do" list keeps getting longer and my "done" list just isn't keeping pace!
But, tonight I opened the book, dog-gone-it! I had only finished the introduction when I had a brilliant idea and came running to my computer to write this post. Here's my idea: why don't you read it with me? I got together with a fellow blogger, who is has designed the wonderful event button at the bottom of this post and is co-sponsoring the event. Please take a moment to visit her blog, The Vagabond Studio to tell her hello and thank you!
Here's how it will work:
- Go get yourself a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma as quickly as possible and start reading. The library, the used book store, the Nook or Kindle versions, the new book store if you must...just grab a copy and get started!
- The book is divided into three sections. Plan to read one section each week.
- Follow @mamamakingchges on Twitter by clicking here. Also follow and use hashtag #omnivoreparty for party posts.
- Meet me for a Twitter Party each Tuesday at 9pm EST to discuss the section we just finished. Section I will be the topic on 6/26, Section II on 7/3, and finally Section III at the Grand Finale on 7/10.
- When you get to the party, shoot me a message to say hello using my twitter handle @mamamakingchges, so I will be sure to know who is present for the giveaways.
- I will line up some prizes to be given away at each of the Tuesday Twitter Parties. Prizes for the finale will be announced later. On June 26, 3 winners will each get a pouch made from recycled newspapers. On July 3, 2 winners will each receive a copy of Michael Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater's Manual.
- If you'd like to co-host and/or sponsor a prize in exchange for generous recognition added to this post, my blog, and during the parties, please contact me via comments below, or on twitter in a direct message. You may also contact me via the Mama Making Changes facebook page by clicking here. Sponsors may have their logo or button added to this post and to my blog sidebar during the event in addition to any other recognition.
- RSVP your commitment to participate in this event by leaving a comment below. Your comment should include your twitter handle. Only participants who RSVP will be eligible for prizes. If you join late, you will still be eligible for any prizes given away after you RSVP. Prizes will be given away during the Twitter parties to eligible attendees, so you must attend the party to win prizes given away during that party.
- Finally, share with your friends via Facebook and/or Twitter. If you have a blog,grab the button below. I would love for you to post it on your blog to help promote this event and share it with your readers.
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mamamakingchanges.com%2F2012%2F06%2Fomnivores-dilemma-book-party.html&h=cAQF7dw9T" title="Omnivore's Dilemma Party" target="_blank"><img src="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cIH85obqhJ0/T9gUUWoRPZI/AAAAAAAAAIU/LNWRSEL5Gzw/s1600/Omnivore.jpg" alt="Omnivore's Dilemma Party" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
That's it! Hope you will join us! I am running out to buy the young adult version tomorrow so that my kids can join in the fun. Feel free to make this a family affair at your house, too! Keep checking back to see updates to this post as I obtain sponsors/prizes and finalize any details that may have been left out. And don't forget your RSVP!