Monday, June 11, 2012

Super Yummy Recipe

I know I usually post these recipes on Sunday, but this weekend was weird because I didn't have a computer. Then I spent all of Sunday afternoon at Best Buy trying to remedy that situation. Which I did :)

I really am enjoying learning to cook more foods now that we are trying to eat more fresh, whole foods and less processed, packaged food. I love mixing things that I think will go together and getting a great result! That's exactly how this recipe came about and it's definitely deserving of the title "super yummy"!!! It sounds a bit like a winter recipe, but I put it together today from stuff I had around the kitchen. Of course, fresh tomatoes would be even tastier, I'm sure! This came out beautifully and is very filling. Bonus: it's super healthy, too!

Greener Mommy's Super Yummy Stew

Ingredients:

1 pound stew meat, any type
1 quart bag frozen tomatoes
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
about 8 oz fresh spinach (this is enough to loosely fill a gallon ziploc bag)
greek seasoning

Thaw tomatoes and add tomatoes and meat to crock pot. Heat on high until very warm, about 10 or 15 minutes, and then reduce heat to low. Cook about 4 hours or until meat is very tender. Add beans and fresh spinach. Toss until spinach wilts and add greek seasoning to taste. Serve immediately over quinoa or brown rice.

I used lamb in this recipe and it was absolutely amazing! Of course,  you could substitute about 3 small or 1 1/2 large cans of organic tomatoes if you don't have any left from the summer garden. The fresh spinach could be substituted, as well, for any fresh greens. In the winter, kale makes a great addition to stew. 

Do you ever grab whatever is available when making stew or soup instead of shopping for specific ingredients? Or do you prefer to use recipes exactly as they are written?

2 comments: